One of my favorite things to do is to cruise. Since 2007, I have been cruising every year. At the beginning of the month of July, we went on our first cruise with our son. Our son was 8 months old during the trip. I was scared at first but then I was okay. We had my in-laws coming on the cruise.
We went on the new Norwegian Cruise Line ship called the Escape. It was an amazing ship. We love cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line because they are a freestyle cruise. They are a very clean ship. You have to sanitize your hands when you first get on the ship. Throughout the cruise, there are sanitizes everywhere. Every restaurant has them. Every time you go to the Garden Cafe up on Deck 16, they say “Washy Washy Happy Happy”. I love hearing that.
Restaurants- Some of the restaurants are complimentary (Garden Cafe, O’Sheehan’s) and some are specialty where you have to pay extra for. I will blog about the restaurants that we went to.
- Garden Cafe- This is up on Deck 16 and they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. This cafe is all buffet style. There is a great variety of food to pick from and many favorites. There are beverages that you may order but they also have coffee (regular and decaf), a variety of teas, water, and juice (orange, cranberry). We went here every day for breakfast and few times for dinner and lunch.
- O’Sheehans Neighborhood Bar & Grill- This is an awesome place to eat. It is located on deck 7. We went here a couple of times for lunch. They have amazing wings and nachos. All their food choices are great.
- The Manhattan Room- This is located on deck 6 and it has a wide open space. There is a dance floor in this room. The dinner menu changes every day with a nice variety of choices. We went to eat here on the first night. It was a long wait to get inside and we had made reservations a few months ahead. Dinner was also taking a long time. We think it was due to the change of the crew for the week. Everyone did not know where they were serving. My son was not able to handle a 2 hour dinner. Overall it was a great dinner with great food.
- Moderno Churasscaria- This is located on deck 7 and it is Brazilian style. They come around with different kinds of meats and you can pick if you want to eat it or not. They also have a salad bar which was nice. A very filling dinner.
- Teppanyaki- This is located on deck 5 and it Japanese Hibachi style. You get a show and dinner at the same time. My son loved the show even though he doesn’t really understand what is going on. He enjoyed the singing and making noise. I had a wonderful martini but I do not remember the name of it. It was so good. The food was amazing as always and very filling.
- Bayamo- This was located on deck 8. It was a small restaurant and one of the specialty restaurants that are from a Iron Chef. It was seafood oriented. My husband and I are not into seafood but I had the lobster and it was delicious. It was a Latin inspired seafood restaurant.
- Le Bistro- This was located on deck 5. It is a French restaurant and it was very good. The other NCL ships have this restaurant but the food on this ship was a lot better. I had a mushroom soup (to die for) and chicken for dinner. For dessert, I had fondue for 2 and it was amazing. Very happy with the food.
Guppies Program – this is a a new program to NCL. It is a program for children ages 6 months to 3 years. They have activities for the children as well as a room for them to run around in. There was a paid part of the program but we did not use it because we had my in-laws helping us on the cruise. We did go to a few hosted activities which were free. It was really nice because I was able to see what you can do with a young child. It was also nice because there was a space for them to play in and be able to roam the room. They used all safe products on the ship from edible paint to chalk to crayons. My son did a lot of eating. The last day, they had a Farewell Disco where the children played with instruments. We went not knowing what to expect and I was amazed at how my son used the instruments that I ended up ordering him some of the instruments so that he can have them at home. The crew that words with the children are amazing. They are very friendly and loving towards the children. My son loved the host for the week.
Views- There are no words that can describe the views that you get when you cruise the open seas. They are breath taking. You see nothing but ocean and it is so calming. When you get to the ports, you are able to see the islands. Sailing by other islands is also breath taking. Sunsets are amazing to watch.
There are many bars on this ship if you are a drinker. My favorite bar was the Sugarcane Mojito Bar. I was drinking a Raspberry Guava Mojito. It was so so good. There’s trivia every day on the ship. They have every day trivia or specialty trivia. We went to a couple of them: Big Bang Theory Trivia, Superhero and Villians Trivia. There were a lot of them. We did not go to the shows o the ship because our son was to young to go and he would get fussy. There are shops on the ship. They sell jewelry that you are able to find on the islands but they are cheaper on the ship. They have liqueur, NCL merchandise, watches, perfume and so many other things. My favorite was the photo gallery. Every night at different locations, you are able to take professional photos for free. You then can go to the photo gallery and look at them and then purchase. I take my son’s photos so I wanted to pick up photos that someone else took. They had a wonderful package of 10 photos for $149. That is a great deal. The photos we purchased came with a USB of the same photos. We also took professional photos with a studio. They are on the ship and there are different ways of doing the shoot. You can do them in the studio, at the ports or around the ship. We chose to do them in the studio because of our son. We did not have to purchase anything but once we saw the photos there was so stopping us. It was a little pricey but well worth it. We also received a USB with all the photos that were taken. These are just some of the things that are on NCL Escape. I hope this inspires you to cruise with NCL.
Cruising the big blue seas.
Calm and peaceful.
Amazing sunrise and sunset.
All you can eat.
Tanning by the pool.
Drinks at hand.
Always an adventure.
Different animal towels.
Photos every night.
Gambling on the open seas.